Control Arms Social Media Fellowship, New York, NY
The fate of one of the most important treaties of our time will be decided this summer at the United Nations in New York. The Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) seeks to place common sense restrictions on the sales of arms between sovereign governments. Currently the trade in bananas and iPads are more regulated than the sale of machine guns or tanks! Governments and NGOs recognize that a strong ATT is vital to curbing conflict, serious human rights violations and ending poverty. You will serve as a key member of a Nobel Peace Prize-nominated campaign team that includes partners like Amnesty International and Oxfam. This will be a fast-paced and intense position right at the heart of month-long, tense international negotiations. Be prepared for a big challenge and once-in-a-lifetime learning experience that will see you using your social media skills to mobilize thousands around the world to influence the negotiations ongoing right where you sit, at the UN.
This position includes 2-4 weeks where location is flexible and 6 weeks in New York for the negotiations.
- Work as part of a global team to manage Control Arms social media properties daily
- Devise and execute a social media strategy with the Control Arms secretariat and its member organizations worldwide
- Participate in daily team meetings and briefings during the negotiations
- Coordinate outreach to aimed at engaging bloggers and influential social media voices including celebrity ambassadors
- Ensure allies are aware and bought into the Control Arms social media plans
- Participate in and host conference calls and Google Hangouts for partners, allies and "Rapid Response" volunteers
- Update Control Arms website
- Provide content packages for web and social media to Control Arms member organizations and allies
- Co-Manage editorial calendar with blog editor and communications team
- Prefer applicants studying New Media, Communcations/PR and/or International Politics
- Must speak and write English fluently. Preference to candidates with Spanish, French or Arabic competency
- Must be adept at managing social media properties including Twitter and Facebook, as well as Flickr and Youtube.
- Basic rich text editing and HTML required
- Command of blogging platforms including Wordpress, Posterous and Tumblr is key
- Basic photo-editing (crop, resize, touch-up) required as well as similar level of video editing ability
This fellowship is for a doer that is eager to be part of dynamic team. We care more about your attitude and desire to roll up your sleeves and learn something new, rather than simply your experience using all the products listed above. Successful candidates should have links to past work available, but your passion and willingness to solve problems will be your greatest asset.
A stipend of $2000 will be awarded for this fellowship. Additional travel support may be availabe for exceptional candidates normally based outside New York.
How To Apply:
- Tweet @ControlArms why a strong and binding ATT must be passed. Include the hashtag #SDIF12
- Complete the Application Form and Upload a CV or Reusme' (Max 2 pages)